Monday, June 9, 2014

Things is happening

This past week I've made PROGRESS! Since the last post:
I've nearly finished attaching all of the flashing supports to the steel joists:
Now I'm getting ready to attach the flashing to the underside of the trailer. First, measuring!
I cut a cardboard jig for a couple of the cuts I need to make in the metal:



 Did some drawing to figure out placement of the metal sheets under the trailer:










And made a couple of cuts. It's not as hard to cut sheet metal as I thought it would be. Not to say that my cuts are really pretty, I'm sure it's trickier to do it nicely. But mine don't need to be pretty :-) This one's not using the jig, but rather from measurements and the drawings I made.




 Here's the metal wedged up under the frame. It took two of us to jam it in to the two cuts near the corner (bottom left, near my foot) There was just enough flexibility in the metal the bend it into place.

I've used some long pieces of 1x6 suspended from the trailer frame to form a platform to hold the metal up where it needs to be. There are also a couple of long pieces of metal bar running the length of the sheet to keep it straight and flat. The sheets were a bit curvy, but working them with hands and feet straightened them out a bit.






Finally, here's a sample of the tools I've been using the past couple of days. Not included are the chop and table saw, and a few other little mecanically helpful friends.

Woop!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, nice to see the photos after seeing your notebook at the tiny house meetup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sasha ... Thanks for sending me your link ... I will follow your progress with great interest. When something is meant to be, all the necessary parts seem to align themselves, powered by your will. Must be a helluv a learning curve and very empowering. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good so far. It's nice to see the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome. You're such an amazing handywoman! Super super stoked for you!!!

    ReplyDelete